You’ve got until 12 September to get your application to our Grants and Awards Manager Erin Dolan. We know September seems like a long time away, but don’t push this task to the bottom of your ‘to do’ list just yet. You’ve got some work to do if you really want your grant application and your project to be successful.
To get you started, we asked Erin to share five tips for applying for a Foundation grant. In the coming weeks, we’ll also be featuring stories from some successful grant applicants. This is a great way to get a feel for the kinds of projects we fund and why – so subscribe to our blog to make sure you don’t miss out or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (put Subscribe for grants news in the subject line) and we’ll add you to our email list.
Erin’s tips for applying for a Foundation grant
“We want to give grant projects the best possible chance for success so we take the time to work with grant applicants, giving them access to all of the advice, expertise and resources that the Foundation has to offer,” says Erin.
“So if you’re thinking of applying, here are five tips to get you started:
- Speak to me at least six weeks before you submit – we are a friendly bunch here at the Foundation and may be able to help you with your application. We’re likely to ask you to come in for a meeting and may invite someone from our education or publications team as well.
- Read our guiding principles and our strategic priorities – these are only a guide, but you’ll be able to see the kinds of projects we like to fund.
- Make sure it’s a legal project – speak to me before you start writing your application to ensure your project is eligible.
- Focus on the impact of your project on the lives of Victorians – we want the projects we fund to make a difference so make sure your project has a practical application and there’s a demonstrated need in the community.
- Be realistic – about what you can achieve, what resources you need and how long it will take to get the best possible outcome from our projects.”
And remember, we offer two types of grants: small grants for projects up to $5000, and general grants for larger projects (typically between $20,000 and $50,000 but your application should be driven by your project needs).