What’s really behind the stately sandstone walls of the Supreme Court?
Today is the day to find out! Take a heritage and history tour through the halls and court rooms of the Supreme Court where so many notorious cases have played out. And step into the magnificent Supreme Court Library.
Come along for a sneak peek inside all our major courts and tribunals for Courts Open Day from 10am to 3pm. Where to start, where to start…
As well as the Supreme Court, the County, Magistrates’ and Children’s Courts together with the Coroners Court, VCAT, Court Network, the Juries Commissioner’s Office and other services are opening up their doors with a free program of tours, mock trials, ‘meet the judge’ sessions, exhibitions, career information sessions, talks and information stalls.
- Court tours and time to talk to judges, magistrates and court staff
- Sentencing Jackson – an interactive session with a magistrate in the Children’s Court
- All Stand – go behind the scenes in a mock criminal hearing in the Magistrates’ Court
- Career as a Court Registrar – could it be for you?
- Who’s Your Mob? – learn about the inner workings of the County Koori Court
- A Judge’s Guide to a Supreme Court Trial – If you’re curious about life in the law, what it’s like to work at the courts, or to wear the wigs and robes – today is your chance to chat to a judge get an insight into the trial process
- VCAT hearing in the Magistrates’ Court – see how a Tribunal hearing works and how a decision is made
- Jury Service: Get the Facts – ask the Juries Commissioner’s Office all about jury duty and what it’s like to serve on a jury
- 30 Years On – the Coroners Court commemorative Ash Wednesday exhibition
And of course, exploration is hungry work, so stop by for the sausage sizzle at the County Court forecourt. And if you’re in need of caffeine, to warm you up on this wintery Melbourne day, you can grab a coffee, too.
Find the details of all this and more on the Law Week program of events.